Safety Requirements for Pack N Plays
When it comes to preparing the nursery for your child, it is important to have the items that are essential. In this case, one that should not be missed is a pack-n-play.
It can provide children with a place where they can nap, and at the same time, where they can play when they are awake. When shopping for pack-n-plays, you will be confronted with an abundance of alternatives.
More than just the design of the product, safety considerations should be of utmost importance as well. In this case, keep on reading to learn more about the safety features that you should be looking for, and at the same time, some safety tips to ensure that its use will not put your baby at risk.
Essential Considerations for Shopping
Thinking of buying a pack-n-play? Well, be prepared. You will most probably be overwhelmed with the multiplicity of the options that you will be confronted with.
This, however, should not be a reason to decide in haste. Make sure to keep these things in mind to be assured that you are buying one that is safe and high-quality:
- Durable Construction: It should be made from materials that can withstand the weight and movements of your baby. If it is flimsy and structurally-weak, the baby will be at risk, especially when left unsupervised.
- Lockable Wheels: It will be good for a pack-n-play to have wheels as it will be easier for you to have it moved around the house. Nonetheless, having wheels can also be a safety concern because it can make it unstable. Make sure that the wheels can be locked so that it will stay in its position.
- Certification: Before pack-n-plays are released in the market, they undergo quality control and testing to be assured that they will be safe. When shopping, make sure to look for the Juvenile Products Manufacturing Association Certification, which acts as a seal of safety.
- Overall Design: The side rails of the pack-n-play must not form a V-shape when it is folded. This will prevent strangulation if in case the rail accidentally collapses. Having a firm and comfortable mattress is also important.
Other Things to Consider
Aside from those that have been mentioned above, it is also important to put an emphasis on these things:
- See to it that the pack-n-play has been fully assembled before putting your baby inside.
- Always follow the assembly instructions from the manufacturer. If there are missing parts or instructions that are unclear, make sure to contact the seller or the manufacturer.
- Follow the age and weight limits that are specified. Unlike cribs, pack-n-plays may have a smaller weight capacity. See to it that the pack-n-play is capable of handling the size and weight of your child to avoid such from collapsing.
Be Watchful of what is placed inside the pack-n-play. If there are toys, make sure they are made from non-toxic materials and that they cannot be swallowed. See to it that there are no cords to avoid strangulation. Keep an eye on pillows, blankets, and other items that can put the child at risk of suffocation.